The Greek settlement on Failka Island is situated just off Kuwait's shore. The temple in the photograph is a Hellenistic one, dedicated to Apollo, with an altar on the right.
The first currency traded in Kuwait was a currency with a strange figure called "Taweelat Alhasa" starting from the stability of Al Sabah in Kuwait to nearly 50 years, whereas the first trial of issuing a national currency was during the reign of the 5th ruler Sheikh Abdalla bin Sabah 1866-1892.
The text of 1988 Treaty which was signed with Britain to protect Kuwait from foreign greed.
Kuwait Harbor in April 1911. The "battils" with their fiddle-headed prows were the most distinctive vessels in the Kuwaiti pearling fleet.
1911- Opening the first school in Kuwait was opened which is Mubarakiya School named after Sheikh Mubarak Al Sabah. It is the first systematic school in Kuwait's history.
In 1913 the 1st map of Kuwait was drawn as an official document.
Establishment of the first hospital in Kuwait known as the American Hospital, which has a special place in the hearts of Kuwaiti's as the doctors of the American Hospital has treated the wounded in Al Jahra and Al Rigee Battles, also it contributed in the fight against many diseases and epidemics at the time. Many of surgeries were conducted at the hospital.
1920 a wall around the city of Kuwait was built to protect it.
1924 the establishment of the Literary Club by the efforts of a young educated Kuwaiti group, it was the 1st club to be established in Kuwait. It was headed Sheikh Abdullah Al Jaber Allah. People of Kuwait have contributed financially and morally in the club by useful books and newspapers which were published at that time.
1927 witnessed the establishment of the first airport in Kuwait behind the Shaab Gate.
The city gate, Kuwait, 1928. British troops manned the city wall of Kuwait against an expected assault by the ikhwan (brothers).
One of the old markets in a snapshot in the thirties.
Sheikh Mubarak Al Sabah “Kushk” in a snapshot in the thirties. “Kushk” in Kuwaiti dialect means a square building with two floors, the ground floor contains small shops or ”Dakakeen” in Kuwaiti dialect, and the upper floor consists of the “Al Majliss” – living room - which can be accessed from the external stairs. Perhaps Sheikh Mubarak Al Sabah was the first to built “Kusk” in Kuwait. He ruled Kuwait between the years 1896-1915. He used “Kushk” for public gatherings to listen to the citizen's views. It was a gathering place for Sheikh Mubarak also as the first court in the State of Kuwait.
A car pulls up in front of the public security building in safat market place. The photograph was taken in 1939.
Old Kuwaiti neighborhood.
A policeman regulating traffic in the old street at the center of old Kuwait at the end of the forties and before introducing the traffic light.
Picture of the old post office in Kuwait City on a snapshot in the forties.
Inauguration of the first hospital in Kuwait in 1949 named “Al Amiri Hospital”. Hospital construction started in 1941 after the approval of the Shura Council. It has faced many difficulties in the construction process such as stopping the work because of the Second World War. At first the hospital included 45 beds, operating room, pharmacy and only one laboratory.
1951 has witnessed the launch of radio in Kuwait in the early months of the year.
Kuwait Airways was founded in March 1954.
The first bank in Kuwait and was called the National Bank of Kuwait Limited.
1959 - The arrival of the first Kuwaiti oil tankers (Kadhma) to Al Ahmadi Port. It was built in 1958 by a Japanese company named Sasebo for Kuwait Oil Tanker Company. On this occasion, a big celebration was held under the auspices and the attendance of Sheikh Abdullah Al Salem Al Sabah the Amir of Kuwait at the time.
The text of the Declaration of Independence signed by Sheikh Abdullah Al Salem, the eleventh ruler of Kuwait, with the British High Commissioner in Gulf, Sir George Middleton on behalf of his government.
The Kuwait Towers in period 1975-1979.